- Oral Roberts University announced Sunday that Athletic Mike Carter is taking on an emeritus role with the department after 27 years of service.
- Deputy AD Tim Johnson will succeed Carter in the day-to-day operations as Athletic Director.
- Carter’s new role will involve consulting the department, assisting with fundraising, and community relations.
- “I thank God for the opportunity to serve our wonderful student-athletes and invest in their lives competitively, intellectually, socially and spiritually,” Carter said in a news release Sunday. “I believe Tim is well prepared and will do a great job as the Athletic Director. I look forward to the bright days ahead for Golden Eagle athletics.”
- The ORU Board of Trustees said Sunday it has plans to build a new athletic center in Carter’s name. It will be built next to the Mabee Center, part of a “comprehensive retro-fitting” of the arena. It will contain two regulation basketball courts, a 10,000 square foot strength and conditioning space, accommodate the ELI Academic Learning Center, team meeting rooms, and office space for athletic department staff.
- The university will hold a news conference Monday.
Cox Media Group