NORMAN, Okla. — Quick Facts:
- Former University of Oklahoma football star Joe Mixon and Amelia Molitor announced a settlement deal in a civil lawsuit filed by Molitor.
- Mixon is accused of punching Molitor in a Norman restaurant on July 25, 2014.
- Video of the incident was released last December.
- Both parties released statements following the settlement:
"I am happy we were able to bring the lawsuit to an end. Joe and I were able to meet privately, without any attorneys, and talk about our experiences since that night. I am encouraged that we will both be able to move forward from here with our lives. From our private discussions I am satisfied that we are going to put this behind us and work towards helping others who may have found themselves in similar circumstances. I greatly appreciate his apology and I think the feelings he expressed were sincere. We both could have handled things differently. I believe if we had a chance to go back to that moment in time, the situation would not have ended the way it did. Going forward, Joe and I agreed we needed to move on from this situation and focus on the future. I'm now planning to attend graduate school. I still plan to speak out and support other people, whether on college campuses or elsewhere, who are faced with overcoming difficult circumstances that have attracted intense public scrutiny. I'm finished talking about what happened that night with Joe. It's time to move on from that. I wish Joe the best of luck in his future."
"I'm thankful Mia and I were able to talk privately. I was able to apologize to her one-to-one. The way I reacted that night, that's not me. That's not the way I was raised. I think she understands that. Talking together helps move us past what happened. I know I have to keep working to be a better person, and this is another step in that direction. I love working with kids, and I'm looking for more chances to do that kind of work. I want to lead a life that inspires them, and I hope I can lead by example from today forward."
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- Joe Mixon settles civil lawsuit concerning 2014 altercation
- Soul singer Cuba Gooding Sr. dead at 72
- 'The X-Files' to return for new 10-episode season on FOX23
- K9 officer honored in processional before being put to sleep
- Caretaker's suspicions led cops to missing teacher, student
Cox Media Group