DALLAS - Former Oklahoma head football coach Bob Stoops is the new coach and general manager of the XFL franchise in Dallas.
The soon-to-be-named franchise made the announcement Thursday that Stoops, 58, would become the first coach hired for the upcoming relaunch of the XFL in 2020.
The former Sooners coach retired before the 2017 season after 18 seasons with the program.
Dallas is one of eight cities expected to host XFL franchises. WWE Chairman Vince McMahon announced the relaunch of the league in January 2018. The XFL originally launched in 2001 but did not last more than a season due to financial issues.
- NM Governor withdraws National Guard from southern border, accuses Trump
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Owasso student dies, two others injured in crash in Rogers County
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Large cross washes onto Florida beach
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.