CLAREMORE, Okla. - A World War II veteran from Claremore is getting a long-overdue honor on Thursday at Claremore High School.
Lewie Shaw, 95, left school early to enlist in the Marine Corps to serve his country in 1943.
Claremore High School Navy Junior ROTC is presenting Shaw with a cap, gown, and high school diploma on Thursday that he didn't get the chance to have 76 years ago.
Shaw served in combat with the 4th Marine Division in battles including Tinian, Saipan, and Iwo Jima.
A law passed in 2001 allows districts to award veterans of World War II and Korea their diplomas.
- AT&T settles unlimited data throttling suit, will pay $60 million
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
- Simmons Prepared Foods recalls poultry products for possible metal contamination
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Prosecutors charge man with hate crime in acid attack
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
© 2019 Cox Media Group.