TULSA, Okla. - Quick facts:
- Police released video of an officer-involved shooting Wednesday.
- Earlier this month, an officer shot and killed 18-year-old Naway Willy.
- They say Willy had a gun on him and took off during a homicide investigation.
- They later said they didn't believe Willy was involved in the homicide.
New video footage appears to show an officer open fire on a fleeing suspect in east Tulsa.
Police released dash camera video from an officer-involved shooting Friday night.
During a homicide investigation, police shot 18-year-old Naway Willy, who they say they initially believed matched the description of a suspect in a fatal shooting of Rabson Robert at America's Value Inn near 11th Street and Highway 169.
They later said they don't believe Willy was involved in the incident. They arrested Tulio Aviles in the deadly shooting.
Trending Now on FOX23 News
- Sooners coach Bob Stoops to announce retirement
- Last Tulsa-area Kmart to close
- Tuna recalled over possible hepatitis A contamination
- Local thieves reportedly use card skimmers on ATMs to steal from Tulsa-area residents
The video appears to show Officer David Hornok searching Willly, when a brief scuffle ensues.
Willy then runs across the screen, and gunfire erupts.
Hornok appears to call to Willy to show his hands, then appears to fire 15 shots.
Watch the video below:
Willy died of his injuries.
An investigator told FOX23 that Hornok didn't realize he had hit Willy until another officer found him later. They say an officer was ready to take Willy into custody before realizing he'd been shot.
Police say they found a gun in the area, but they did not confirm if the gun was on Willy or if they believed he'd dropped it somewhere during the chase.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.