TULSA, Okla. - Vandals targeted the Lynn Riggs Memorial Mural at the Dennis R. Neill Equality Center Monday night.
Oklahomans for Equality posted photos of the vandalism on their Facebook page Tuesday:
The mural depicts Lynn Riggs, a playwright who wrote "Green Grow the Lilacs" -- the basis of the musical "Oklahoma!" Riggs, who died in 1954, is a Claremore native.
Tulsa Mayor GT Bynum posted about the vandalism on his Facebook on Wednesday. He changed his profile picture to a photo of the mural and encouraged other Tulsans to join him. Bynum did not hold back in his condemnation of the vandalism:
"So some jerk wants to make my friends and neighbors feel unwelcome in our city by defacing a beautiful mural? Then I think I’ll just make that mural my profile pic for a while. Feel free to join me if you’d like to show the haters that in Tulsa love still wins."
Oklahomans for Equality later posted video showing suspected vandals defacing the mural Monday night. "What happened last night would be considered a hate crime in thirty-one states, but not Oklahoma," Oklahomans for Equality wrote.
If anyone can identify the individual in the video, please call the center at (918) 743-4297 or e-mail Tulsa Police Department LGBT Community Liaison Thomas Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See Tom Hanks as Mister Rogers in 'A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood' trailer
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Tiny, glow-in-the-dark shark discovered in Gulf of Mexico
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- All-women's fire crew heading to Alaska to help battle wildfires
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.