TAHLEQUAH, Okla. - Two people are dead after a shooting and standoff in Tahlequah Wednesday night.
Tahlequah police say they were called multiple times about gunshots at Tahlequah Terrace Apartments around 8 p.m.
Police say one caller said her sister, 40-year-old Rachel Maxwell, had been shot in the head by her estranged husband -- 37-year-old Eddie Ray Maxwell Sr. The caller told police she had ran out of the apartment.
Officers came to the scene and were joined by the Cherokee Nation Marshal Service S.W.A.T. Team in a standoff with the shooter.
Police say after several attempts to persuade Maxwell to give up, one of the Marshals shot and killed him.
Authorities then found Rachel Maxwell dead inside the home.
The Oklahoma Bureau of Investigations is investigating the shooting and police say body camera video will be available at a later date.
FOX23 is working to get more information. Check back for updates.
- AT&T settles unlimited data throttling suit, will pay $60 million
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
- Simmons Prepared Foods recalls poultry products for possible metal contamination
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Prosecutors charge man with hate crime in acid attack
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
© 2019 Cox Media Group.