TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- A Tulsa police officer fatally shot Terence Crutcher on Friday night
- A protest happened at 7:30 a.m. Monday at the Tulsa County Courthouse
- Tulsa Police and the Department of Justice held a news conference at 1:30 p.m.
- Community groups spoke to FOX23 about their efforts to improve police and community relations
Tulsa and the global community continue their reaction Monday in the days after a deadly officer-involved shooting.
During a traffic stop on Friday near 36th and Lewis, a Tulsa Police officer shot and killed Terence Crutcher, 40.
TPD identified the officer who fired as Betty Shelby. Another officer, Tyler Turnbough, deployed his Taser at Crutcher.
Crutcher’s family told FOX23 that his car was stalled at the intersection; TPD says Crutcher approached them and failed to obey commands.
State Senator Kevin Matthews and other community leaders took a look at dash cam video. They told FOX23 the video shows Crutcher walking away from police with his hands raised as the shots were fired. No weapons were found on him.
Tulsans spent the weekend responding to the case, another piece in a national conversation over officer-involved shootings.
Community groups involved in nation-wide efforts shared their hopes to improve police and community relations. Read MORE about their cause and how it relates to Crutcher’s case here.
A protest began at 7:30 a.m. outside the Tulsa County Courthouse.
FOX23 will also attend a TPD and Department of Justice news conference at 1:30 p.m.
- Following that press conference, at 4:30 p.m., We the People Oklahoma will host their own press conference on TPD policies. The group, which led efforts to investigate the deadly shooting of a man in 2015 by a Tulsa County reserve deputy, has previously made calls for TPD to re-examine their policies for officer-involved shootings.
- St. Francis information hacked, held ransom
- “Violent and scary” home invasion investigated in north Tulsa
- Tulsans respond to deadly officer-involved shooting
- Family of man killed in officer-involved shooting calls for charges against officer
- Summertime heat before a cool down
© 2019 Cox Media Group.