TULSA, Okla. — QUICK FACTS:
- The Tulsa Police Department is expanding a reading program with local kids.
- Officers will meet regularly with kids in the neighborhoods they patrol to read stories and help with homework.
- FOX23 went along with Officer Tiffany Sappington, who reads to kids near 51st Street and Yale Avenue every Thursday afternoon.
- Sappington says it helps form relationships with kids while they're young, and build trust that lasts into adulthood.
- TPD hopes to have officers with regular reading days in ten different areas soon.
© 2020 Cox Media Group