TULSA, Okla. - The Tulsa Fire Department hosted a fundraiser for the Oklahoma-based nonprofit organization Ground Zero Search and Rescue Training Center.
Ground Zero has donated 12 search and rescue dogs to TFD over the years. The dogs are trained to respond to natural and man-made disasters and can cover 20,000 square feet within five minutes looking for survivors.
Former Sooners and Dallas Cowboys coach Barry Switzer and his wife Becky founded the organization after a tornado hit Moore, Oklahoma.
It can cost tens of thousands of dollars to properly train one dog.
- Lawmakers in Alabama want to make Pledge of Allegiance mandatory for schools
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- College student falls to death from Arkansas cliff trying to take photo
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Police: Tulsa man accused of killing pregnant girlfriend, unborn baby
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.