TULSA, Okla. - Quick facts:
- Police arrested Kelsey Harrison and Christopher Brewer.
- They say Harrison reportedly knew Brewer was abusing her two-year-old child.
- An area daycare called DHS after they say they noticed small injuries on the child.
Tulsa police say a daycare’s watchful eye helped lead to the arrest of a local couple now accused of child abuse.
An affidavit shows that workers at Kindercare on the University of Tulsa campus began noticing small injuries on the toddler around July 4. At the time, the mother was reportedly able to explain them away. When the child showed up with more serious injuries a few weeks later, though, workers called DHS.
Tulsa police say Kelsey Harrison is the two-year-old little girl’s mother. They told FOX23 she is a law student at the university.
Police say the alleged abuse happened at Harrison’s home just a street north of the law school.
The affidavit says Harrison’s boyfriend, Christopher Brewer, is responsible for abuse that allegedly happened on nights that Harrison was in class.
Police say the child had bruising to both cheeks, a fading black eye, bruises to her ears and the area behind her ears, a busted lip, bruising inside of her mouth, bruising on both sides of her ribs and a bruise to her lower stomach, in addition to healing burn marks.
Brewer was arrested and charged on one count of child abuse by injury. He’s still in jail on a $50,000 bond.
Harrison was arrested and charged on one count of permitting child abuse. Police say she had some knowledge of the ongoing child abuse and did nothing to get her daughter away from Brewer. She has already bonded out.
The University of Tulsa says the daycare is located on land owned by the university, but the two are not otherwise affiliated.
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- George Strait, Beyonce, others to hold Hurricane Harvey relief concert
- Retired Tulsa firefighter promises 'surprise' for any returning thieves after burglary
- Realtor who vanished during Hurricane Harvey found slain, ex-husband charged
- Mayfield sorry for planting Oklahoma flag at Ohio State
- Man sues after reportedly waking up during eye surgery at Tulsa hospital
© 2018 Cox Media Group.