TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Tulsa is set to host the IRONMAN competition in 2020, 2021, and 2022.
- The triathlon in 2020 is scheduled for May 31.
- A full distance IRONMAN triathlon consists of a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bicycle ride, and a 26.2-mile run.
- President of Tulsa Regional Tourism says the race would have a $13 million economic impact on the city.
- The other three cities considered were Des Moines, Iowa, Fayetteville, Arkansas, and Memphis, Tennessee.
Officials announced Tulsa will host the next IRONMAN Triathlon competition Wednesday.
A full distance IRONMAN triathlon consists of a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bicycle ride, and a 26.2-mile run.
Officials laid out the route for competitors in the 2020 race:
The 2.4-mile swim will take place in Keystone Lake in Mannford, Okla. where the water temperatures are generally in the low to mid-70 degrees.
Once out of the water, athletes will embark on a 112-mile scenic bike tour of the surrounding Tulsa area, including portions of Osage, Creek and Tulsa County. Athletes will have the opportunity to ride portions of the Osage Hills and experience the lush green terrain that make up the “Green Country” of northeastern Okla. Athletes will be challenged with plenty of rolling hills before finishing in downtown Tulsa at Oklahoma State University-Tulsa campus.
Once off the bike, athletes will start the 26.2-mile run leg of the event. The run course begins at Oklahoma State University-Tulsa campus and make its way through historic vibrant downtown Tulsa to the River Parks Trail System. Runners will have flat and fast views of the Arkansas River as they make their way down past Tulsa’s Gathering Place and back to downtown to finish at the beautiful Guthrie Green.
Tulsa will host the race in 2020, 2021, and 2022. The 2020 race is scheduled for May 31.
President of Tulsa Regional Tourism says the race would have a $13 million economic impact on the city.
IRONMAN and its partnership with Certified Piedmontese Beef are expected to be giving back to the community for this commitment as well.
There will be a 2,000-pound donation of frozen ground beef for the Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma. In addition, the IRONMAN Foundation will be helping out local severe weather victims:
IRONMAN will also begin with charitable activity through the IRONMAN Foundation which will present a grant award for $10,000 to the Disaster Relief Fund for Eastern Oklahoma, a program of the Tulsa Community Foundation and Tulsa Area United Way to support local flood recovery efforts. At the 2020 Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN Tulsa, the IRONMAN Foundation will award additional grant funding to support long-term recovery efforts and provide a hands-on service project opportunity for athletes, as well as their families and friends. Athletes who race the Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN Tulsa on TEAM IMF will specifically help support these local efforts.
FOX23 streamed the official announcement of the host city Wednesday afternoon:
- Enormous, furry head of 40,000 year old Ice Age wolf found in melting permafrost
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- University of New Mexico researchers develop potential Alzheimer's vaccine
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- WATCH: Jon Stewart slams Congress in emotional testimony at 9/11 victim fund hearing
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.