Kentucky woman sets herself on fire while smoking, putting gas into minibike

Woman sets herself on fire while smoking, putting gas into minibike

INDEPENDENCE, Ky. — A Kentucky woman was hospitalized with serious burns Monday after she accidentally set herself on fire while smoking a cigarette and filling her child’s minibike with gasoline, authorities said.

According to police, around 9 a.m. the woman, who has not been identified, was smoking and was pouring gasoline into the minibike’s tank when she caught on fire, WLWT reported.

Content Continues Below

The woman was using a gas can to fill the tank inside a closed garage, Independence police Capt. Russ Wood told WRTV. Investigators believe vapors from the gasoline ignited the fire, the television station reported.

First responders said the woman was flown to a Cincinnati hospital, WLWT reported.

The extent of her injuries is unknown. the television station reported.

A Kentucky woman suffered burns after pouring gas from a can into a minibike while smoking in a closed garage.
A Kentucky woman suffered burns after pouring gas from a can into a minibike while smoking in a closed garage. (BPCraddock/Pixabay)