GREENE COUNTY, Tenn. — Officials with a Tennessee emergency management agency are warning residents that it is unwise to sanitize their homemade masks by sanitizing them, WJHL reported.
In a Facebook post,officials are characterizing as a public service announcement, the Geeneville/Greene County Emergency Management Agency and Homeland Security explained the hazards of microwaving the masks.
“There are a couple of problems with this,” the agency wrote.
"1. The microwave will set flame and/or burn certain materials.
“2. If your mask has metal in it. refer to issue number 1, as well as, possibly killing your microwave,” the agency wrote.
The agency said using warm water with antibacterial soap, and a small amount of bleach is a safer and more effective, way to sanitize the masks.