President Donald Trump on Thursday disputed the official death toll in Puerto Rico following Hurricane Maria, claiming that Democrats inflated the numbers “to make me look as bad as possible.”
Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rossello last month raised the official toll from 64 to 2,975 after a new, government-commissioned study found deaths from the storm were severely undercounted.
“3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico,” Trump wrote Thursday on Twitter. “This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico. If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!”
The president did not provide evidence to support his claim. He told reporters earlier this week that he felt the government response to Puerto Rico post-Hurricane Maria was “one of the best jobs that’s ever been done with respect to what this is all about.”
“I think Puerto Rico was an incredible, unsung success,” he said.
In a statement released Tuesday, Rossello called Hurricane Maria "the worst natural disaster in our modern history" and said work remained before they could move on to other stages of recovery. He also said he was still waiting for Trump to respond to a petition to help Puerto Rico complete work on emergency housing restoration programs and debris removal.
The president’s comments come as Hurricane Florence continues to churn in the Atlantic Ocean. The storm is expected to bring as many as 40 inches of rain to parts of the Carolinas, prompting evacuation orders for hundreds of thousands of residents along the coast.
© 2020 Cox Media Group