ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. - A Rowan County man is in jail under a $1.25 million bond after police said he was caught molesting a 7-year-old girl in Kannapolis.
On Saturday, deputies were called to a home in reference to a sexual assault. When they arrived, authorities spoke with a woman and her 7-year-old daughter.
The mother told deputies she called 911 after she walked in on Homer Compton Jr. molesting her daughter inside a different home.
She said Compton, 47, who was a known acquaintance, became upset, grabbed a rifle in the house, and began making suicidal threats. She explained that was the reason she and her daughter left the house where the alleged incident happened.
When deputies went to arrest Compton, he refused to come out of the house. After about 20 minutes of negotiations, Compton agreed to come out of the home unarmed and was arrested without incident.
Detectives said based on information they obtained, it appeared that Compton had been involved sexually with the 7-year-old girl for several months.
He was charged with six counts of statutory rape, two counts of statutory sex offense with a child by an adult, and four counts of indecent liberties with a child.
Compton was given a bond of $1,250,000 and was placed in the Rowan County Detention Center.
- U.S. Olympic silver medal cyclist Kelly Catlin dead by suicide at 23
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- School apologizes after father says his daughter went missing three times on their watch
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Three arrested after Oklahoma police find over 28 gallons of liquid methamphetamine
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.