Brian Desario, 30, walked into the garage of a home where his mother, her boyfriend and another friend were hanging out and accused a man, identified as 56-year-old David Armstrong, of flirting with his girlfriend. He then fatally shot Armstrong, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said that Desario suffered from mental illness.
“The suspect, Brian Desario, believed that the mom’s friend; who is the victim in this case, was trying to pick up Brian’s girlfriend and hit on Brian’s girlfriend,” Nocco said after the incident. “Please note, Brian does not have a girlfriend. In his mind, he did. But, in reality, he didn’t.”
Following the shooting, Desario began walking toward the nearby Gulf Highlands Elementary School, pointing his gun at the building. The school was immediately put on lockdown, and no children were harmed. When police arrived, Desario opened fire on two deputies, initiating a 10-minute shootout, during which he was killed.
According to authorities, Desario had a stockpile of guns and ammunition. Police are investigating how, when and where he purchased the items.
Trending Stories on FOX23.com
- President Trump says you'll be hearing 'Merry Christmas' a lot more this year
- Social Security benefits to rise by 2 percent in 2018
- Up in smoke: California fires damaging marijuana farms
- Trump administration stops subsidy payments to insurance companies covered under ObamaCare
- See more trending stories on the FOX23 Facebook page
© 2018 Cox Media Group.