Officers identified after deadly shooting in Tulsa

TULSA, Okla. — A suspect is dead after a standoff with police in north Tulsa.

Tulsa police told FOX23 a traffic stop led to a pursuit near Pine and Tacoma on Monday afternoon.

Police said one person got out of the car with a gun and put it to his head while in a nearby yard, and officers set up a perimeter in the area. That person was later identified as Joseph Knight, 40.

Academy Central and Project Accept were put on modified lockdown in connection to the standoff. Police also asked a woman in a nearby home to leave the area.

During the standoff, Knight reportedly shot himself in the shoulder with a shotgun while trying to push open the back door to an area home, and police said an officer used non-lethal means to try to stop him, but that attempt failed.

WATCH: FOX23 talked to police officials about the incident

UPDATE: Officer-involved shooting near Pine and Union leaves suspect dead. The latest:

Posted by FOX23 News on Monday, January 22, 2018

Afterward, Knight reportedly picked up the gun and took off around the side of the house with the gun raised. Police said it is unclear if the suspect pointed the gun at officers, but they said he posed a continuing threat to the public.

Then, two officers opened fire, according to a police department spokesperson.

Police confirmed that Knight died of his wounds at an area hospital.

They said Knight had two felony warrants out for his arrest, a felony drug warrant out of Tulsa and a gun and assault warrant out of Osage County.

Investigators said that both warrants were "application to revoke" warrants, meaning that prosecutors in both counties had asked a judge to revoke Knight's former suspended sentences.

Homicide sergeant Dave Walker told FOX23 that he believes the fact that Knight feared he would return to prison likely led him to run during the traffic stop. Family members told FOX23 that they too believed that Knight did not want to return to prison.

Knight's father told FOX23 he begged his son to give up to police and put his gun down, and the suspect's son said that he wished he could have talked to his father and convinced him to comply with police.

No one else was injured.

The officers who opened fire are on paid administrative leave. They were later identified as B. Brandt and R. Marcum.

The Monday incident is the 15th officer-involved shooting by Tulsa police since June 15, 2016 and the eighth in the past 12 months. It is the first since Christmas 2017.

The Osage County District Attorney's Office is handling the case.

Trending Now on

Trending Video