A note preceding the letter from Pickens mentioned that his website and social media accounts are now maintained by team members of the foundation he founded.
In the letter, Pickens writes about advice he's given to people over the course of his life, his admiration for how young people embrace change and some lessons he learned.
"In my final months, I came to the sad reality that my life really did have a fourth quarter and the clock really would run out on me. I took the time to convey some thoughts that reflect back on my rich and full life."
He also went over a series of key principles he kept to and collected throughout his life. They range from humbleness and physical fitness to faith and learning from mistakes.
"Learn from mistakes. That’s not just a cliché. I sure made my share. Remember the doors that smashed your fingers the first time and be more careful the next trip through."
A funeral service for Pickens will be held Thursday in Dallas.
- Movie starring 'The Walking Dead' actor wraps production in Oklahoma
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Alex Trebek undergoes additional chemotherapy
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Tulsa Beer & Wine Festival to be held at Gathering Place
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.