OWASSO, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Owasso police detained a 16-year-old student after a gun was found in his backpack at Owasso High School Monday morning.
- The Owasso superintendent Amy Fichtner said another student reported seeing the gun to the assistant principal.
- The school's student resource officer found a loaded handgun in the backpack and Owasso police detained the student.
- Owasso Public Schools reported the student is being cooperative with the investigation.
The Owasso Police Department released this statement following the incident:
"Owasso School Resource Officers were notified by school staff that a 16 year old student may be in possession of a gun on school property. Officers immediately responded to make contact with the student and remove him from the classroom. Officers recovered a loaded .22 caliber mini-revolver from the student’s backpack and he was subsequently taken into police custody for possession of a weapon on school property.
All such incidents are taken very seriously and the safety of the students is our number one priority. In this instance, initial indications suggest that the student may have forgotten the weapon was in his backpack until he was already on school grounds this morning. Another student allegedly overheard the suspect talking about the gun and notified school employees. There were no reports indicating that the suspect made threats with the gun or made any statements suggesting that he intended to harm anyone.
This incident will be referred to the Juvenile Bureau of the Tulsa County District Attorney’s Office to determine if criminal charges will be officially filed. Because the alleged suspect in this case is a juvenile, we are very limited on the information we can release beyond what is contained in this statement. Resultantly, the Owasso Police Department will not be conducting further interviews related to this case in the immediate future. I would refer the media to the statement released by the Owasso Public Schools this morning for additional information." - Owasso Police Department
- Florence live updates: Death toll climbs to 17 as rain, floods continue
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Taco Bell employee refuses to serve customer who doesn't speak Spanish
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Father charged after 2-year-old son found naked on couch left in the trash
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.