TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Ron Helus -- the sergeant killed in the mass shooting in Thousand Oaks, California Wednesday night -- is a University of Oklahoma alum.
- READ MORE: 12 killed, including deputy, at California bar; suspect also dead
- Helus died while responding to reports of the shooting, according to deputies.
- He is one of 12 people killed in the shooting. The gunman is also dead.
- READ MORE: Thousand Oaks shooting: What we know about the victims
- Helus graduated from Oklahoma with his masters in 2016.
- Reports say the 29-year veteran was one year away from retirement.
- READ MORE: Deputy killed was preparing for retirement
The University's alumni Twitter account tweeted in response to Helus's death:
Today the OU Alumni community grieves with the friends and family of one of our own, OU Graduate Sgt. Ron Helus, MA ’16, and all those who lost their lives to the senseless violence last night in California.https://t.co/0wNxSYvcjo— OU Alumni (@OU_Alumni) November 8, 2018
- Thousand Oaks shooting: 12 killed, including deputy, at California bar; suspect also dead
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- White House suspends CNN reporter Jim Acosta’s press credentials
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Mississippi voter's shirt depicting noose, Confederate flag sparks outrage
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.