TULSA, Okla. - QUICK FACTS:
- Some Green Country schools and business are closed ahead of expected severe storms on Monday.
- Several events in the area were canceled.
- You can watch live severe weather coverage on FOX23 News on TV or on your streaming device.
- READ MORE: Severe weather chances continue into Monday and Tuesday
Several Green country schools and business closed Monday ahead of severe weather moving through the area.
Tulsa Public Schools announced its cancellation Sunday night and was not alone. Catoosa, Okmulgee and several others are closed or delayed.
Tulsa Public Schools released the following statement after choosing to close Monday:
We have been monitoring the weather closely and based on the severity of the current forecast, we are closing all schools in our district on Monday, May 20. Students will not have to make this day up, and the last day of school for students will still be on Wednesday, May 22.
Our district office sites will be open for a partial day, closing by 11:30am at the latest to allow our employees to travel home before the most severe weather is expected to begin. We may close district offices sooner in the event that severe weather arrives earlier in the day. We are also cancelling the Board of Education meeting scheduled for Monday evening.
These are challenging decisions to make, and we work with the National Weather Service and local emergency management agencies to understand the potential timing and severity of weather events. These partnerships help us to make the best informed decisions that we can to ensure that our students, teachers, and team members stay safe and healthy.
We look forward to seeing our students back in class on Tuesday, May 21.
Broken Arrow Public Schools remained open, but released the following message for parents as a result of the inclement weather:
"Potential Severe Weather Update – May 20, 2019
May 20, 2019
Because of the potential for severe weather, students may be picked up after 1:30 p.m. without an attendance penalty today. As we continue to watch the forecast, student and staff safety is our number one priority. Any student missing a final exam will be allowed to schedule a make-up exam as needed. If parents cannot pick their student up early today, school will continue as normal for the school day.
Please be aware that if we are under a tornado warning at normal release time, we WILL NOT run bus routes until the threat has passed. In addition, all afterschool activities, including B&A Connections, are canceled.
As a reminder, a tornado warning issued by the National Weather Service means to take immediate action by moving to an interior room or the lowest floor of a sturdy building. It is strongly discouraged to be in a vehicle once a tornado warning has been issued.
If you have any questions, please contact your site principal."
Rogers State University in Claremore closed early Monday at noon:
In addition to schools, local businesses are closed and events have been canceled. FOX23 will update this list as we learn more:
- Tulsa City-County Libraries - Closed at noon
- Route 66 Rising Dedication - Canceled
- Collinsville High School Graduation - Rescheduled for Tuesday at 7 p.m.
- Tulsa Social Security Office - Closed at 1 p.m.
- Broken Arrow Chamber Office - Closed at 2 p.m.
- Jenks High School Graduation - Rescheduled for Wednesday at 7 p.m.
- Tulsa Zoo - Closed at 2 p.m.
- Oklahoma man finds 7-foot snake in dryer vent
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- ‘Game of Throne' finale: Fans react with love, hate to epic series ending
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Hero coach tackles armed student preventing potential school attack
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.