MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Kan. — QUICK FACTS:
- Elk City State Park officials confirm a runner near the park was fatally struck by lightning Saturday.
- The park is located in Montgomery County, Kansas.
- According to National Weather Service data, the last time Kansas had a lightning fatality was 2012.
- The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident.
- This incident makes the 18th lightning fatality in the United States this year, according to the National Weather Service.
- LIGHTNING SAFETY: Striking away lightning myths
- This story will be updated with details as we learn them.
© 2020 Cox Media Group