TULSA, Okla. — Quick Facts:
- Fire broke out at the Sand Dollar apartments near 61st and Riverside
- The flames started after 2 a.m.
- FOX23 teams saw at least 4 people rescued; Tulsa fire department says 6 residents were hospitalized
- A 1-year-old boy died of his injuries; a 7-year-old girl and a 54-year-old later died as well
- Property management provided grief counselors and fire safety tips to residents on Sept. 1.
FOX23 teams checked out the Sand Dollar apartments just after 2 a.m. near 61st and Riverside where firefighters were called.
They saw units taped off and at least 4 people rescued. Firefighters said six total people went to the hospital. At least three were children of unknown age. Three of the six hospitalized were in serious condition, but responders were unsure if the children were the patients seriously hurt.
A one-year-old, a seven-year-old and a 54-year-old died from their injuries. They were later identified as Jayce DeSalvo, Lilian Thomas and Terry Hargraves, respectively.
Firefighters said 5 of those hospitalized were from the same unit. The children's mother huddled with them in a bathroom until they could be rescued.
Investigators say 8 units were displaced in the blaze.
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- Teenage Tulsa shooting victim shares story
- Warning: State Department discouraging travel to Cancun, Los Cabos
- Dogs, cats seized from 'deplorable' conditions at Mannford home
- Birth mother kills teen girl after reunion, burns her body in fire pit on remote farm, police say
Cox Media Group