NORMAN, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Researchers at the National Severe Storms Laboratory said there has been a slight drop in the number of twisters in Tornado Alley since 1950 when reporting began.
- The biggest drop has taken place in west Texas.
- Researchers believe the drop is due to changes in atmospheric moisture and wind shear lining up as fuel for strong storms on active days.
- There has also been an increase of tornadoes in the area known as Dixie Alley, which encompasses Tennessee, Mississippi and Alabama.
- WATCH FOX23 Brad Carl's report Wednesday night on FOX23 News at 9.
- Florida man arrested after throwing burrito at girlfriend, deputies say
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Medical pot sales in Oklahoma top $4.3 million in January
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Kindergartner hit in the face with ruler by teacher for telling on classmate, family says
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.