TULSA, Okla. - Quick facts:
- Rapper Danny Boy O'Connor from House of Pain is working to renovate the iconic north Tulsa "Outsiders" house.
- The home was featured in the 1983 film.
- The house will become an "Outsiders" museum.
Renovations are continuing on the iconic north Tulsa home from the movie "The Outsiders."
The project began last spring, and it has continued ever since.
FOX23 first told you about rapper Danny Boy O'Connor's passion project back in April. The House of Pain member isn't an Oklahoma native, but he is a huge fan of "The Outsiders."
On a visit to Tulsa in 2009, he felt moved to do something about the house at the corner of North St. Louis and East Independence.
- "The Outsiders" is a coming of age novel written by Tulsa native S.E. Hinton.
- It was published in 1967.
- It was adapted into a film in 1983.
- Brat Pack stars, including C. Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Ralph Macchio and Diane Lane, appeared in the film.
"I saw the house, and I though, 'What a beautiful house!' and then I fell in love with Tulsa, and I was like, 'What a beautiful town!'" O'Connor said.
He bought the house in 2015. O'Connor said his initial goal was to keep the home from falling into disrepair, but he has since shifted into turning it into a museum.
WATCH: Full 360 Interview with Danny Boy O'Connor:
He said that donations and purchases will leave the home full of memorabilia.
"I had a nice little collection of 'Outsiders' memorabilia," O'Connor said. "Now, I have a great collection. I will dare to say that nobody in the world has a bigger 'Outsiders' collection than I do now, which is going to be Tulsa's 'Outsiders' collection."
Renovators are working to make sure the house looks as it did in the movie. For example, fence damage found in the 1983 film, will stay that way.
"Even though it's deformed and cut up, and trees are going through it, it's one of the most beautiful things about the house," O'Connor said. "It's that it's the original from the film."
Several stars from the movie appeared at a fundraiser in August. Another event is set for May 13 at Cain's Ballroom.
Trending on FOX23.com:
- Weekend ice and heavy rain potential
- Trump denounces 'disgrace' of reports of Russian ties to him
- Green Country gears up for ice storm
- Allegations of special needs abuse investigated
- Man fined $128 for warming up car in his own driveway
"We're bringing some of the stars from the movie back," O'Connor confirmed.
Almost a year into the project, O'Connor still says it caught him by surprise.
"Never in a million years would I have thought I'd end up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, working on the 'Outsiders' house, yet it's the best thing that's ever happened.
Donate to the 'Outsiders' house project here.
WATCH: FOX23 got a 360 tour of the "Outsiders" house:
© 2019 Cox Media Group.