TULSA, Okla. — QUICK FACTS:
- QuikTrip spokesperson Mike Thornbrugh said the corporation wants to start hiring employees with law enforcement backgrounds to become armed security in some local stores.
- The employees will work full-time making $35 an hour, and wear a QT security uniform. The security workers will be allowed to open carry.
- Officials said they are in the process of reviewing applications now, but they do not know when the new employees will be in stores.
- Thornbrugh said Tulsa has seen a rise in crimes at some QT locations. He said hiring these employees will help law enforcement, which has been overwhelmed.
- The corporation has tried the new security method at a location in Wichita and saw a decrease in thefts, loitering and panhandling.
© 2020 Cox Media Group