Tulsa police release arrest video of woman accused of stabbing daughter

Tulsa police release arrest video of woman accused of stabbing daughter

TULSA, Okla. — Quick facts:

  • Taheerah Ahmad appeared via video conference for arraignment Tuesday
  • Ahmad allegedly stabbed her 11-year-old daughter multiple times and took off with her eight-year-old daughter.
  • Police issued an Amber Alert which stayed in effect for nearly 24 hours.
  • Officials charged Ahmad with assault and battery with intent to kill, two counts of child neglect and first degree arson.
  • She declined to enter a plea, which created a default not guilty plea
  • The 11 year-old remains in critical condition after a week in the hospital
  • Tulsa police released video of the arrest on May 23.

Police located a child at the center of an Amber Alert on Tuesday. The mother, a suspect in the stabbing of another child, is in custody.

Content Continues Below

Two women located mother and child in downtown Tulsa around 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to police.

On Wednesday morning Taheerah Ahmad made her first court appearance via video conference. She is being held without bond. No charges officially filed yet.  Her next court date is scheduled for May 22.

The arrest comes after neighbors near Apache and MLK called about a stabbing Monday evening.

Police found an 11-year-old girl stabbed multiple times in an area home. The kitchen was also burning when officers arrived, according to officials.

Officers said Ahmad is suspected of committing the stabbing and starting a fire in the home.

WATCH: 911 dispatcher recalls call that led to Amber Alert

911 dispatchers told their story after a Tulsa Amber Alert.

After police brought Ahmad into custody, they said she claimed she stabbed the 11-year-old victim in self-defense.

She reportedly told officers she bound the nine-year-old and 11-year-old earlier in the evening for "reading their books," and police said she claimed the older child broke away and attacked her, prompting her to stab the child at least 50 times.

Police said they recovered two knives and a gardening tool from the scene. They reportedly believe she set the house on fire to make sure the child died.

Reports from police allege Ahmad held the children captive inside the home without food or water for days.

Police initially said Ahmad had taken her seven-year-old daughter with her when she fled, but they later clarified that the child was eight years old.

WATCH: A look inside Tulsa's Amber Alert Command Center

Officers brought Ahmad into custody after someone spotted her in a downtown Tulsa parking lot. They said they believe she had been sitting in the parking lot for some time before she was spotted.

The victim is in critical condition after undergoing surgery.

Police said the father of the children is in Tennessee and did not know where the suspect was during the investigation.

FOX23's Sara Whaley spoke with a relative of the children:

Ahmad faces charges related to assault and battery with the intent to kill, arson and child neglect.

Download the FOX23 News app for updates sent straight to your phone.

Trending Now on FOX23.com

Trending Video