SAND SPRINGS, Okla. - A witness to a dangerous hit-and-run incident near Sand Springs helped stop the man before anyone got hurt.
Police said the witness was driving when he saw a man driving beside him in a truck hauling a trailer that became unhitched.
The witness tried to pull up to the driver to alert him to the problem, but the driver sped up and started driving erratically, officials said.
The witness told police as he was driving on Highway 51 he saw the trailer disconnect from the truck near a gas station. The witness continued to follow the driver and called police.
The driver went through a neighborhood, through people’s yards and hit a tree. Police said he eventually hit another car and continued to drive.
The witness followed the driver until police arrived.
Officers said the suspect appeared to be under the influence, and his wife told police he had started taking sleeping pills that made him act strangely.
Police arrested Paul Lethermon on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs and hit-and-run.
- Man arrested in connection to death of missing Broken Arrow woman
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Panthers salute service members; safety Eric Reid kneels during anthem
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Lowe's announces plans to close more than 50 stores in US, Canada
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.