TULSA, Okla. - The FBI seized backpage.com nearly a month ago, and federally indicted seven of the company’s founders and top officials.
FOX23 has told you Backpage was one of the biggest tools for the Tulsa Police Vice Unit to find victims of sex trafficking and those who are trafficking them.
Before it shut down, the way the vice unit found traffickers was already beginning to change. People in the community are learning more and more about how to identify trafficking and they’re reporting it.
Officials believe as people learn more about trafficking and what it looks like, police will hear about it from the public more often than they do going to look for it undercover.
Police said now that they can’t set up stings on Backpage, they’ve been able to focus their manpower on investigating reports of prostitution at local massage parlors.
- Teen saves up money to buy classmate new shoes, clothes
- Tennessee girl discovers 475-million-year-old fossil of rare sea creature
- Arizona students back in class after 6-day teacher walkout
- Evacuations ordered as volcano in Hawaii erupts
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters for stories sent to your inbox
© 2019 Cox Media Group.