OWASSO, Okla. — Police arrested a woman Wednesday night accused of leaving her 14-month-old child in a hot car at a liquor store in Owasso.
Officers responded to reports of a small child locked inside a car at Owasso Wine and Liquor on the Owasso Expressway near East 86th Street North around 6:30 p.m.
Police were told while they were on the way that the car was not running and the child looked to be in distress.
Officers saved the 14-month-old baby who they say was only wearing a wet diaper and showed signs of medical distress. The temperature at the time was 88 degrees with a heat index of 91 degrees.
Police say the baby's mother -- 24-year-old Gretchen Markovics -- was leaving the liquor store and questioned by officers on the scene.
According to police and witness reports, the baby was likely alone in the car for 15-20 minutes.
Owasso police arrested 24-year-old Gretchen Markovics who now faces charges for child endangerment.
The baby was taken to the hospital then released into the custody of the Oklahoma Department of Human Services.
- 'Dog the Bounty Hunter's' Beth Chapman dead at 51
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Boston approves permit for 'Straight Pride Parade'
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- AP FACT CHECK: Claims from the 1st Democratic debate
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for breaking alerts sent to your phone
© 2020 Cox Media Group