OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. — An Oklahoma State Senate committee has approved a bill that would require all public schools in the state to display the phrase "In God We Trust" in classrooms.
Senate Bill 1016 would require a poster or framed image with the phrase, along with the U.S. and Oklahoma flags, in classrooms and school libraries.
The bill says the flags and images could be donated or bought with school funding.
Representative John Paul Jordan (R-Oklahoma City) co-authored the bill in the Oklahoma House of Representatives.
If the bill is passed by the legislature, then it will go into effect November 2018.
The bill's committee passage comes as state legislators continue to hash out a state budget. Students from a Green Country school held a walkout last week to protest millions of dollars in proposed education cuts.
- Woman prevents girl's kidnapping by pretending to be potential victim's mother
- Armed Stoneman Douglas resource officer 'never went in' during Florida shooting
- Hero German shepherd takes bullet for teenager in home invasion
- Green Country Schools respond to various threats
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters for stories sent to your inbox
© 2020 Cox Media Group