WYTHE COUNTY, Va. - Federal law enforcement officials announced Tuesday that an Oklahoma man died in a violent attack on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia.
The attack happened on May 11. The victim has been identified as 43-year-old Ronald S. Sanchez.
FBI and U.S. Attorney's Office officials said family members of the victim have been notified.
The U.S. Department of Justice said on Sunday that 30-year-old James Jordan was arrested for allegedly attacking a group of hikers on the trail over the weekend.
Jordan used a machete to attack four hikers, killing one of them, investigators said. The group managed to split and run in different directions.
The extent of the injuries suffered by the other three hikers are unclear.
Jordan faces complaints including murder and assault with the intent to murder.
- Las Vegas mom accused of drowning 2-year-old daughter in bathtub
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- One man arrested after shooting at Mother's Day gathering in south Tulsa
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Mother charged with felony child abuse after children found living in roach-infested home
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.