ELOY, Arizona - A Sand Springs man was arrested after a traffic stop Monday in Eloy, Arizona, when police found him traveling with his deceased wife in the passenger seat.
Police identified the driver as 70-year-old Rodney Puckett. He told investigators that his wife, 74-year-old Linda Puckett, died at a Texas hotel during their trip.
He reportedly moved her body into the car and continued toward California.
The investigation was prompted by a call from a fast food restaurant in Arizona. An employee told police that a man in boxers drove up to the window with a nude, lifeless woman in the car.
FOX23 learned Tuesday that Linda Puckett had recently filed for divorce and the couple had restraining orders against each other. Sand Springs police said officers started responding to domestic disturbance calls at the couple's home earlier this year.
Click through this timeline of events related to the case:
Medical examiners will work to determine the cause of her death. A preliminary report shows blunt force trauma to the body, but an official cause of death has not been released. Police are investigating whether her death was the result of a homicide, but they do call it suspicious.
Puckett was booked on a complaint of abandonment or concealment of a body.
- Las Vegas mom accused of drowning 2-year-old daughter in bathtub
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- One man arrested after shooting at Mother's Day gathering in south Tulsa
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Mother charged with felony child abuse after children found living in roach-infested home
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.