TULSA, Okla. - QUICK FACTS:
- Ayanna Najuma, a civil rights activist spoke at McAlester High School's Afro Student Union's Soul Food Festival in McAlester.
- In August 1958, Najuma participated in a sit in at an Oklahoma City drug store. The iconic photo taken at the sit in helped spur more sit ins across the country.
- After a career doing lots of advocacy work, Najuma speaks all over the country, focusing a lot on children. She wants parents to set good examples for their kids and do right by them so they can grow into balanced adults.
- California high school senior banned from wearing MAGA hat
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Great-grandma fires pistol at man trying to break into her home
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Pawnee County undersheriff dies in crash
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.