FAYETTEVILLE, AR — Quick facts:
- Baker Mayfield was arrested in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
- Mayfield is known for playing quarterback for the University of Oklahoma.
- He faces charges related to public intoxication and disorderly conduct.
University of Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield was taken into police custody early Saturday morning after an incident in downtown Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Officers say someone near Dickson and West reported that Mayfield was intoxicated, yelling profanities and causing a scene.
SEE MORE: Mayfield named OU starting quarterback
An arrest report states that Mayfield told officers he was trying to break up an altercation there.
When officers talked to Mayfield, they reportedly found his speech was slurred and his clothing was covered in food.
SEE MORE: OU's Baker Mayfield lip syncs Katy Perry
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- Tulsa man accused of killing dog to avenge pet cat's death
- Officer reportedly tackles OU quarterback Baker Mayfield during Fayetteville altercation
- Single mother's tax return Facebook post goes viral
- Police seek suspects after shooting at east Tulsa club
- Bartlesville resident files lawsuit to stop development, citing river pollution
They said the OU football player even sprinted away from police at one point, prompting the officer to tackle him to the ground and handcuff him.
Mayfield was booked into the Washington County Detention Facility in Fayetteville, Arkansas. He was released after 11 a.m. Saturday.
SEE MORE: Mayfield leads Oklahoma to 35-19 Sugar Bowl win over Auburn
He faces charges of public intoxication, disorderly conduct, fleeing and resisting arrest.
"We are aware of the matter and are learning the details. We don't have any other information at this time," Mike Houck, Oklahoma team spokesman said.
Mayfield is a sophomore at the university. He was short-listed for the Heisman Trophy last year.
SEE MORE: Mayfield wins Burlsworth Award for a second straight year
He released a statement Tuesday:
Officials Upset After Giraffe Live Stream Pulled From YouTube
Cox Media Group