MUSKOGEE, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Police are investigating an officer-involved shooting that happened September 4 in Muskogee.
- Officials told FOX23 an officer shot a man near East Side Boulevard and Lawrence.
- The man -- Darnell Cox -- was treated for his injuries and taken to jail.
- No officers were injured.
- Cox is booked on assault and battery with a deadly weapon, first degree arson, larceny of merchandise from retailer (under 1,000) and threaten to perform violent act.
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for breaking alerts sent to your phone.
An investigation is underway in Muskogee following an officer-involved shooting on September 4.
Muskogee police say a man stole a lighter and lighter fluid from a local Quick Mart just before 10 p.m. and set a child's bicycle on fire.
Police tracked 32-year-old Darnell Cox down at a home near Lawrence and East Side Boulevard. Officers knocked on the door and say Cox threw a "lighted substance" at the glass front door.
Officers surrounded the home and say they tried to communicate with the man's mother who was inside.
Police say Cox lit something else on fire and threw into the face of his mother. That is when an officer fired several shots at him.
Cox was hit several times and taken to the hospital. He was then taken to jail.
Muskogee police released surveillance video and body camera video of the incident on September 12 on their Facebook page here.
FOX23 Reporter Preston Jones spoke with Cox's mother who says her son is a veteran who suffers with severe mental illness.
She says her son has been acting erratically recently. She says she does not feel as though her son was attacking her.
She suffered minor injuries.
Muskogee police say Lieutenant Mathew Burleson and Officer Brandon Bycroft have returned to work after the shooting. Lieutenant Josh Jenkins remains on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. Jenkins is the only officer who fired at Cox.
Cox is booked on assault and battery with a deadly weapon, first-degree arson, larceny of merchandise from retailer (under 1,000) and threaten to perform violent act.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Picture of a slice of cheese and chips for school lunch goes viral
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Pentagon approves military construction cash for border wall
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Man accused of being Mac Miller's drug dealer charged in rapper's deadly overdose
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.