TULSA, Okla. — North Tulsa residents say they want justice for a dog they believe was killed by his owner.
James Penix says he looked out his window Feb. 21 after hearing the screams of a dog. He claims he saw his neighbor killing Gabriel with a dumbbell in the driveway.
Penix said he called 9-1-1, but emergency operators referred him to City of Tulsa's animal control, who allegedly said they could not find the home involved and left.
Penix began a petition on Change.org, calling for justice. It has more than 2,500 signatures as of Tuesday afternoon.
Animal Control reopened the investigation, and will present possible charges to the Tulsa County District Attorney's Office.
An update to the petition suggests the neighbor's other dog was taken as evidence and remains in Animal Welfare custody.
The City of Tulsa responds to animal cruelty reports Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and forwards such calls to Tulsa Police after hours.
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- Austin bombings: Package explodes at Texas FedEx facility, reports say
- Breaking news and trending stories- 'LIKE' FOX23 News on Facebook
- More closures on Highway 75 during bridge project
- Mom accused of putting toddler sons in oven enters not guilty plea
- Police seek Tulsa teen accused of shooting with intent to kill
© 2020 Cox Media Group