MUSKOGEE, Okla. — A school counselor is dead amid a major spike in flu cases across Muskogee County.
Muskogee Public Schools says Indian Education Counselor Susan Roberts, 58, died from the flu just over a week ago.
Roberts worked at Cherokee Elementary and Sadler Arts Academy, and she had also worked in other schools in the district, including the high school.
So far this year, the Oklahoma State Department of Health reports 55 hospitalizations from the flu in Muskogee County, compared to just three hospitalizations last year.
The school district said Monday they had 350 students absent, compared to 287 this time last year.
Some have said that this year's flu epidemic has been the worst in a decade.
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- 8-year-old blasts teacher for 'lying' about Christopher Columbus in viral journal post
- Man arrested after bullets hit Tulsa home
- See more trending stories on the FOX23 Facebook page
- Clinton, Cabello and Monae provide Grammys political moments
- Breaking alerts straight to your mobile device- FREE DOWNLOAD here
© 2021 Cox Media Group