TULSA, Okla. — Quick Facts:
- Kristan Kirk was arrested Wednesday morning
- She faces a complaint of attempted arson and two child neglect charges
- A maintenance worker found two children alone with a stove on
An east Tulsa mother went to jail Wednesday on attempted arson and child neglect charges.
Police say just after 9 a.m., a maintenance worker heard a fire alarm at the Willowbend Apartment Complex near 31st and Highway 169 and found two small children, ages five and nine, home alone.
The stove was on at the time.
The children's mother, Kristan Kirk claimed “voices told her the kids were evil and cannibals," and that "they need to be taken care of.”
Reports claim that Kirt put metal in the microwave and on the stove, turned them both on and left.
The maintenance man who found the children said he later learned that Kirk walked across the street to watch and see if the apartment caught fire.
Police said she went inside and restarted the microwave when it didn't.
They said Kirk came back after officers arrived.
The children were taken into DHS custody.
Kirk, was arrested on complaints of attempted arson and child neglect.
- Suspects accused of breaking into Glenpool home, robbing couple and forcing them into trunk
- Tulsa mother claimed voices told her to kill her "evil, cannibal" children
- Creek County man's body found after long search
- Tulsa deputies arrest suspected child predator
Cox Media Group