Officer pleads not guilty in death of Mannford police chief

Law enforcement honors police chief killed in Florida

MANNFORD, Okla. — Quick Facts:

Deputies in Florida are investigating the killing of an Oklahoma police chief Sunday night.

Content Continues Below

The Escampia County Sheriff's Office found 44-year-old Lucky Miller dead in a hotel room in Pensacola Beach, Florida late that night and arrested Michael Nealey in connection to the death.

Miller found dead

Deputies were called to the Hilton hotel around 9 p.m. to investigate some kind of "unknown problem."

The deputies came into a hotel room to find Miller dead and Nealey lying across the room from him mumbling.

Miller, the Mannford police chief, was in the area to attend a law enforcement conference with Nealey -- another officer at the Mannford Police Department.

According to reports, witnesses told deputies there were loud noises coming from the room and came in to see Nealey sitting on top of Miller on the floor.

The witness says he pulled Nealey off of Miller.

Another witness told deputies they heard loud noises and a man yelling "Stop it Mike" several times before the noises quieted down.

Deputies say they found Miller dead with his face beaten and his eye swollen, but there were no other apparent injuries to his body.

Authorities say Nealey had injuries on his face from when he was pulled off Miller. Documents say Nealey's right hand was swollen and red.

Nealey is facing second-degree murder charges for killing Miller and is being held without bond at Escambia County Jail.

What happens next

The City of Mannford named Jerry Ridley interim police chief after Miller's death.

"Lucky was a great man, but I'll be honest, so was Officer Nealey. Those two were the best of friends," said Mannford Mayor Tyler Buttram in a post shared to Facebook.

The City of Mannford greatly appreciates the prayers and support from Mannford residents, neighbors, law enforcement...

Posted by City of Mannford on Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Miller’s funeral service was held Saturday, November 16 at Davenport First Baptist Church in Davenport.

Nealey pleaded not guilty on December 5.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Trending Stories

Trending Video