TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- A 44-year-old man is dead after he fell off an east Tulsa cell phone tower.
- Police are investigating what caused the fall and whether the man was using proper safety equipment.
- This is the sixth tower-related death in the United States in 2016.
A 44-year-old man is dead after falling hundreds of feet from an east Tulsa cell phone tower.
Tulsa police say the man was working on the tower and slipped and fell near 31st and Memorial around 1:30 p.m.
Police are investigating.
Officials are unsure if the man, described as in his late twenties and early thirties, was harnessed.
The owner of the tower, SBA Communications, has been inspected by OSHA 10 times since 2000.
They have not reported any previous fatalities.
Police said the man worked for Michigan-based Mann's Tower Service.
They have been hit with at least seven violations in the past, including three listed as serious.
This is the sixth cell phone tower worker killed in the United States in 2016.
Tower workers are 10 times more likely to die on the job than construction workers, according to the Department of Labor.
TRENDING ON FOX23
- Earthquake in Pawnee overnight
- Two Iowa police officers killed in ambush attacks
- Employees robbed at Popeye’s in north Tulsa
- OU player Joe Mixon suspended over a parking ticket
- Rain chances return as temps cool off
© 2019 Cox Media Group.