CATOOSA, Okla. - Catoosa police say an officer is recovering after a man attacked him in a parking lot near I-44 and Highway 167.
An officer went to check on a man who they later identified as 37-year-old Mathew Bartlett. Officials say Bartlett was acting aggressively toward shoppers in the area and yelling at cars passing by.
Officers say Bartlett wouldn’t listen to commands, and at one point charged the officer, starting a fist fight. They say he hit the officer several times, once near the temple, before a security guard noticed and rushed over to help.
Police say there is a growing issue with transients and mental health issues in the area and multiple related calls can strain their small department. Officials say more state funding and resources need to be made available to help with the problem to ensure officers and citizens can stay safe
Bartlett is facing charges for resisting arrest and assaulting an officer.
- Flyers drop Kate Smith's recording of 'God Bless America' over earlier racist songs
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Militia leader arrested at US-Mexico border
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Sri Lanka explosions: Easter Sunday blasts kill more than 200
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.