TULSA, Okla. - Tulsa police have identified a suspect in the recent serial sexual assaults.
Police Chief Chuck Jordan said police identified 30-year-old Desmond Campbell and said he is a suspect in 7 recent attacks on women in Tulsa. Police said one of the 8 recent attacks is still under investigation and may not be linked to the other attacks.
Police said Campbell has prior convictions in Oklahoma City for attempted robbery and kidnapping, he was released from prison on April 21.
FOX23 learned these were his previous arrests:
- 2002- armed robbery
- 2005- attempted assault on a woman
- 2006- arrested on a warrant for assault and battery
- 2006- charged and convicted for attempted kidnapping
FOX23 also obtained previous arrest reports from Oklahoma City police involving Cambell and found victims in these cases were women.
Jordan said any evidence collected was sent to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for analysis, but said he was not at liberty to discuss how police identified Campbell as a suspect.
Police said a Google search by an officer helped them find Campbell had been in a car wreck 10 minutes after the attack on Sunday morning. The suspect has been unconscious since then and is currently unresponsive, police said Campbell was not wearing a seatbelt and had severe head injuries.
Chief Jordan says officers are in touch with police in Oklahoma City to see whether Campbell could be responsible for more crimes. The task force has been disbanded and will be returned to regular duty. Jordan thanked the Tulsa Fire Department, Crime Stoppers, the Crime Prevention Network and citizens for their vigilance trying to locate the suspect.
Mayor Dewey Bartlett said the city has a collective sigh of relief now that the suspect has been identified.
Police are still investigating and courts will decide what charges Campbell could face.