- A Tulsa man has been arrested for murder and a related fatal hit and run collision in California.
- 43-year-old Calvin Eugene Pittman is in the San Bernardino County jail.
- Officials there say he and another woman robbed and beat two men staying at a Motel 6 in Victorville, CA. on Monday night.
- One of the men died from his injuries.
- Pittman, the woman and an infant with them during the robbery reportedly left in the victims’ rental car.
- On Wednesday, the California Highway Patrol says they found the woman and infant who were with Pittman dead on the I-15 Freeway near the community of Cima.
- CHP believes the woman and infant were trying to cross the highway and were hit by a semi which didn’t stop. They believe the driver may not have realized that he or she hit the woman and child.
- Troopers say they later found the murder victim’s stolen rental car stuck in a nearby ditch.
- Investigators believe Pittman successfully made it across the freeway when the woman and child did not.
- They say they found him walking about a mile away and arrested him.
- In June of 2018, FOX23 covered a story about Pittman after he was arrested in Tulsa for an alleged carjacking.
- The victims told police they were sitting in their car when Pittman walked up to it and pointed a gun at them asking them if they “wanted to die.”
- They say they gave him the car, which police later found. They arrested Pittman nearby, who reportedly still had the car keys.
- Court records show the case was later dismissed.
- The Tulsa County District Attorney’s Office sent FOX23 a statement explaining why:
TULSA, Okla. — “In the case of CF-2018-2753, State of Oklahoma vs. Calvin Eugene Pittman, the Tulsa County District Attorney’s Office effectuated a personal service subpoena upon the robbery victim, requiring him to testify in Mr. Pittman’s case. Despite this, the witness failed to appear at the appointed time. Consequently, the case could not proceed without his cooperation and was subsequently dismissed without prejudice.”
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group