TULSA, Okla. — Quick Facts:
- Mayor Bynum declared Tulsa Fire Station 30 as the new Fire Station 66 on Thursday morning.
- Station 66 on 11th near 145th East Avenue is the only fire station in the city that lies along Route 66.
- The station had been in service for 45 years before Thursday’s dedication.
- Tulsa firefighters are the ones who came up with the idea to rename the station. They said they didn’t realize how quickly they’d get support from city and state leaders.
- Next they hope to work with City Council to add a neon sign out front.
- They are also going to buy an old fire truck assigned to a Tulsa station in 1951. It used to make runs along Route 66 until it was sold to Depew in 1967.
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group