Tulsa Community College receives grant to help adults continue higher education

TULSA, Okla. — Tulsa Community College’s TRIO Educational Opportunity Center (TRIO/EOC) has received a $1.3 million grant from the U.S. Department of Education to help people who live in Tulsa, Creek and Osage counties start or continue their higher education.

The program was renewed Sept. 1 for the next five years. Federal money will cover about 71% of the program cost and TCC will cover the remaining 29%. The program also features a number of resources to assist people who are unemployed and looking to start or resume college, as well as someone who has a job but is interested in changing careers.

>>>MORE: Millions to lose jobless aid as claims fall to pandemic low

“The TRIO/EOC is program is not tied to a specific college but instead exists to assist individuals who want to enter, re-enter or transfer to post-secondary education programs,” said John Thao, the program’s director.

The college’s goal with the grant is to increase student numbers, according to Thao.

The grant will focus on serving low-income adults who are at least 19-years-old and first-generation college students.

TRIO/EOC offices are located on the TCC Southeast Campus and Northeast Campus with satellite offices at Central Tech-Sapulpa, Osage Nation-Hominy, and Tulsa Technology Center-Lemley Campus. You can also click here for more information.