Sand Springs family shares story, warning after devastating house fire

VIDEO: Sand Springs family shares story, warning after devastating house fire

SAND SPRINGS, Okla. — A Sand Springs family shared their story Tuesday almost a month after losing almost everything they own in a house fire.

Clinton Willis and Rebecca McWilliams were renting their home that burned in a fire on Dec. 13 while McWilliams’ daughter and boyfriend were inside.

The renters say they believe the fire started in the living room, and one of their dogs barking is what woke Willis up to find the fire.

Content Continues Below

Everyone made it outside but not unscathed.

McWilliams suffered burns to 23 percent of her body -- her back, her right arm, and shoulder. She’s had surgery and is still undergoing skin grafts to repair the damage.

Her daughter also suffered significant burns.

The family says they lost everything they own in the fire including the dog that woke them up to the fire.

The family is warning others as they didn’t have smoke detectors which could have helped them.