- Oklahoma ranks 6th for childhood obesity, according to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- The nationwide average is 15% of children, in Oklahoma 18% of children are obese
- The Tulsa Health Department is fighting childhood obesity through the “It’s All About Kids” program
- The mission is to improve overall health and academic achievement of Tulsa County school-aged children in collaboration with students, schools, and the community by aligning learning and health through comprehensive nutrition and health education
- We visited a THD It’s All About Kids Action Based Learning Lab at Stone Canyon Elementary School, in Owasso, and watched students practice multiplication facts while engaging in physical activity and they made a smoothie by using a blender bicycle
- THD’s It’s All About Kids program offers professional development for schools, teaching physical education, health education, and nutrition
© 2020 © 2019 Cox Media Group