Broken Arrow family raising carbon monoxide poisoning awareness following son’s death on boat

BROKEN ARROW, Okla. (KOKI) — A Broken Arrow family is a part of a new campaign to warn about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Nine-year-old Andy Free, passed away last June, after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning on a boat at the lake.

Cassi Free, Andy’s mom, said June 6, 2020 was the Free family’s first time out for the season on Lake Eufaula.

They spent several hours on the lake, but when it was time to pack up and leave, Andy passed out in the back of the boat, then fell into the water alerting the family that he was unconscious.

At the hospital, the Free’s two older sons (ages 13 and 15 at the time) tested positive for acute carbon monoxide toxicity, they were admitted to the hospital and put on oxygen.

Unfortunately, Andy passed away.

Cassi got grant money to make 500 signs, that she, along with the Army Corps of Engineers, will put up at lake, boat docks, and marinas around the state starting this week.

She’s hoping to raise away about the danger of carbon monoxide on boats - so this tragedy doesn’t happen to any other family.

You can head to https://safeboatingcampaign.com/co-danger/ to learn more.

Cassi is hoping they’ll be able to put up the signs across the country as well.